Rhoda’s mother tells her, “When you’re young, faith is often a matter of rules…but as you get older, you realize that faith is really a matter of relationship – with God, with the people around you, with members of your community.” Is Rhoda’s own relationship with faith an example of this, in a way?
2 comments:
this was my other "ah-ha" moment. What a wise thing to say. When it becomes about the relationship and not about the rules. sigh. I love this quote.
Ha....too bad I already used this quote in another discussion question. Yes, great quote.
I was set free when I realized that spiritually was less about religion and more about MY relationship with God than YOUR relationship with God. When I realized that YOUR rules didn't have to be MY rules, I literally began living like a different person.
It's amazing how the rules of religion can turn a person away from God. Hmm...I don't think that's what Jesus would do. I prefer a loving God, not a God who teases and hates.
I think Rhoda's own relationship with faith is a perfect example of the above quote. Rhoda says more than once that she does, in fact, believe in a God.......but the rules are sometimes ridiculous and too hard to abide by.
Post a Comment